April 30, 2018
Click here to view PDF job description for Deputy Director.
The New England Center for Arts & Technology (NECAT) provides job training to chronically unemployed and underemployed adults in the Boston area. NECAT’s 16-week Culinary Arts Job Training Program is provided at no tuition cost to the student and enrolls individuals who face serious challenges, including homelessness, prior incarceration and addiction. Program graduates are prepared for career-ladder jobs in Boston-area restaurants, hotels, hospitals and schools. NECAT’s vision is to use culinary education as a means of lifting Boston’s most vulnerable populations out of poverty and onto a path of economic self-sufficiency. NECAT is a registered 501(c)(3).
NECAT will be celebrating its 5th anniversary in 2018 and is poised for growth. The board and Executive Director (ED) are looking for a mission-focused, high energy, strategic, and process-minded leader with experience leading and managing staff and nurturing a performance culture. The Deputy Director (DD) must be able to help others at NECAT deliver measurable results to ensure its vision for the future becomes reality. Importantly, the successful DD will have the skills, sensitivity, and personal confidence to tap into the power that each member of the team brings to this mission. While it is essential that the DD bring efficient and effective systems to increase the productivity of the organization, is it also critical that the team retain the mission-driven spark that fuels NECAT’s commitment to train, employ and empower adults who are looking to transform their lives.
The DD will be responsible for monitoring the execution of NECAT’s programmatic priorities and outcomes prescribed in NECAT’s strategic plan, allowing the Executive Director to focus on Board Development, external partnerships and public relations outreach. The DD will be in charge of making sure the day-to-day operations of NECAT’s programs run smoothly, including management of program staff. While the Executive Director develops broad mission-oriented goals and objectives, the DD will ensure the development of the operating strategies to attain those goals. The DD will work with all program team members to monitor their work, not only ensuring each function stays on track to meet its goals, but also making sure each department understands its role in relation to the other departments and the nonprofit’s mission.
- Ensure programmatic delivery is in accordance with NECAT’s mission, its goals for program completion and job placement and specific grant objectives
- Instill a data-driven performance culture to consistently measure and evaluate progress on student recruitment, retention, graduation and employment
- Manage all program staff through a strong day-to-day leadership presence; challenge staff to embrace a culture of continuous improvement so NECAT student employment success will be the envy of the workforce development community—the undisputed leader in effective culinary training
- Oversee culinary and job readiness curricula, tools and training, ensuring all are regularly updated and address the required competencies for student graduation and successful employment
- Cultivate and collaborate with programmatic partners (community based organizations and employers) to best utilize their resources, including coordination with NECAT’s Culinary Arts Advisory Council.
- Collect and synthesize data and information regarding program outcomes for informed decision making
Budget, Office Management, and Human Resources
- Assist in the preparation of annual budget
- Upgrade human resources functions including: onboarding of new program staff, staff development, performance evaluation and recruiting
- Assist in the review of NECAT’s current technology infrastructure and scope out the next level of information technology that supports the growth of specific programs and the organization overall
- Work with Finance Director and Chef Instructors to ensure timely implementation and review of service contracts.
- Join the Executive Director in strategy planning for new programmatic or business opportunities
- Assist Executive Director in producing high quality written materials for internal and external stakeholders to support partner cultivation, strategy development and fundraising
- Assist Executive Director and Development Director in executing a fundraising plan,
especially for corporate and public sector funding streams
- Work with Finance Director to ensure that financial reporting is responsive to the organization’s needs and those of its partners
- Represent/stand in for the Executive Director on behalf of NECAT as required.
As noted, this is an organization driven by its mission so experience in managing a “values-driven” organization will be highly prized. Additional requirements are:
- Results-proven track record of exceeding goals in a mission-centric organization; evidence of the ability to consistently make good decisions through a combination of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment; the ability to balance the delivery of programs against the realities of a budget; and problem solving, project management, and creative resourcefulness
- Excellent written, oral communications and analytical skills (writing sample will be required)
- Ability to think strategically, anticipate future consequences and trends, and incorporate them into the programmatic and organizational plan
- Ability to effectively build organization and staff capacity with the Executive Director, developing a top-notch workforce and the processes that ensure the organization runs smoothly
- Exceptional capacity for managing and leading people; a respectful team builder who has the ability to connect to staff on an individual level and in groups; capacity to enforce accountability, cultivate, and learn the strengths and weaknesses of the team so as to put people in a position to succeed
- Enjoys working hard and looks for challenges; able to act and react as necessary, even if limited information is available; not afraid to take charge of a situation
- Experience in budget preparation and monthly budget reporting and review
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint; familiar with database systems (preferably Salesforce or similar CRM)
- Undergraduate degree required; experience in nonprofit management highly desired
- Experience working with underserved populations in workforce development preferred but not required.
- General knowledge of food industry and culinary training a plus but not mandatory
Compensation: This is an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated professional to assume a pivotal role in the evolution of a highly respected organization. Salary Range: $65,000-$80,000 depending on experience.
Please submit cover letter and resume to Holly Stark at email@example.com.